England Cricket chief backs Ben Stokes in family story row

England Cricket chief Tom Harrison backs Ben Stokes in family story row

England all-rounder Ben Stokes, who created to relive past horrors and traumatic events about his family after an English newspaper published a story, has found the support of the country’s cricket board.

Stokes, who was England’s 2019 World Cup hero, won dramatically, on Tuesday for publishing details about his personal life and family. The 28-year-old said the newspaper article, which has serious inaccuracies, deals with deeply personal and traumatic events that affected his New Zealand-based family more than 30 years ago.

The executive chairman of England and Wales Cricket (ECB), Tom Harrison, has said that Ben Stokes has all the support of the whole sport and the country.

We, like the sporting world in general, are disgusted and horrified by the actions taken to reveal the tragic events of Ben’s past, Harrison said, quoting Harrison in an ECB statement.

We are saddened that an intrusion of this magnitude was deemed necessary to sell newspapers or secure clicks. Ben’s exploits in Lord’s and Headingley cemented his place in cricket history this summer. We are sure that the whole sport and the country are behind it in support.

Previously, England and Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford also supported Stokes and tweeted: Disappointing to see this. Ben Stokes has been a great sportsman this summer. He and his family deserve better.

In a statement on Twitter, Stokes said, The decision to post these details has serious and lifelong consequences for my particular mother, he said.

The multifaceted Durham and England added: Using my name as an excuse to shatter private and private life of, in particular, my parents are completely disgusting. It is difficult to find words that adequately describe such low and despicable behavior, disguised as journalism.

On Saturday, the Sun sent a reporter to my parents’ house in New Zealand to question them, out of nowhere, about this incredibly annoying subject. If that wasn’t bad enough, the Sun thinks it’s acceptable to sensationalize our tragedy for its cover. This is the lowest form of journalism, focused only on chasing sales without taking into account the devastation caused in lives as a result. It’s totally out of order.

However, a newspaper spokesman said the story told with the cooperation of a family member who provided details, provided photographs and posed for photos.

The Sun has great admiration for Ben Stokes, and we are delighted to celebrate his sporting heroics this summer. He contacted before publication and at no point did he or his representatives ask us not to publish the story, the spokesman said.

Read More: Audit reveals PCB lost millions in the first two PSL seasons

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here